Brussels, 15 November 2017 – 18 November will mark the 10th European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD) which is a European health initiative aiming to provide a platform and support for EU and national campaigns on the fight against AMR and more particularly on the prudent use of antibiotics.
The European Group for Generic Veterinary Products – EGGVP – takes full responsibility in providing high quality, safe and effective veterinary medicines, focusing on responsible use principles. As part of its day-to-day activities, EGGVP makes all efforts in the prevention of inappropriate use of veterinary medicines, taking measures in coordination with partners both in human and veterinary fields (ONE HEALTH approach), based on policies aiming at responsible use.
EGGVP assumes this responsibility by:
- Promoting the responsible use of veterinary medicines to its associate members, partners and stakeholders along the chain, and general public, under a One Health approach.
- Preventing the inappropriate use of veterinary medicines, according to their Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC). EGGVP advocates the importance that veterinary medicines are prescribed and administered according to the SPC – correct therapeutic regime – and following an accurate examination and clinical diagnosis, supported by sensitivity testing whenever possible.
- Continually improving the quality, safety and efficacy of veterinary medicines for animals.
- Promoting and participating in scientific research in the field of antimicrobial sensitivity and the possible development of resistance, this in order to incentivise evidence based discussions and eventual conclusions.
- Collaborating and actively engaging with EU institutions, decision-makers and other partners to serve as a major and reliable source of advice and guidance on the actual regulatory and business environment as well as during the development of new and amended animal health policies and legislation.
Being an active EPRUMA partner, EGGVP fully supports the EPRUMA initiatives on responsible use and endorses its motto regarding the use of medicines in animals: “As little as possible, as much as necessary”.
EGGVP is committed to promote the EAAD 2017 campaign, among others by attending the press event organised by ECDC on 15 November in Brussels, and by participating in the live Twitter chat during the event